Monmouth, Middlesex religious centers get federal security grants
WASHINGTON D.C. - Ten Jewish and Catholic Monmouth and Middlesex County houses of worship, schools and community centers, including Asbury Park, Marlboro, Deal and Aberdeen, can improve security on their grounds through a combined $3,800,000 federal grant.
The awards, announced Friday by shore Representative Frank Pallone (D-6), stem from the FEMA-administered
, which enables organizations nationwide considered at high risk of terrorist attacks to upgrade physical protections.
Accodring to Pallone, New Jersey groups received nearly $4,300,000 from the program in 2016, the final year of the Obama administration, and hate crimes have not abated.
- "The Trump administration must maintain this critical program and do much more to denounce hate and protect communities against violent bigots," the Democrat said in a prepared comment.
· Chabad House Lubavitch Inc.- New Brunswick
· Hillel Yeshiva - Asbury Park
· Marlboro Jewish Center - Marlboro
· Metuchen Jewish Community Center - Metuchen
· Congregation Neve Shalom - Metuchen
· Ocean Avenue Synagogue AKA Ohel Yaacob Congregation - Deal
· The Diocese of Metuchen - Metuchen
· Temple Beth Ahm - Aberdeen
· Temple Emanu-El - Edison
· Yeshiva Shaarei Tzion - Piscataway
More from WOBM: