Things to Squeeze into Five Weeks of Summer
Today is the final day of July and whether I want to accept it or not summer is winding down. There are only five more weekends before Labor Day which is a swan song for many.
Remember a few months ago when you said this was going to be the summer you were finally going enjoy many of the things the Jersey Shore has to offer? Well what are you waiting for, there’s still time to:
- Spend an afternoon at Monmouth Park, one of the country’s majestic race tracks. Best bet is to bring a cooler with food and drink, arrive early and find an open picnic area. Bring your family and bet your favorite names, numbers and colors and have a great time.
- Catch a Lakewood BlueClaws game. There are only a dozen games left at FirstEnergy Park but 7 of them will feature post-game fireworks.
- Enjoy a day and night on the beach and boardwalk in Point Pleasant Beach. That of course means taking advantage of all the offerings at Jenkinson’s, including the aquarium and arcade and grabbing a cocktail at Martell’s.
- Go fly a kite! Every Wednesday on the “J Street beach in Seaside Park they hold Kite Night from 6-8:30. It’s a great family event and stay a few minutes longer to watch the fireworks in nearby Seaside Heights.
- Speaking of which. Bring your appetite and spend a couple of hours strolling the Seaside boardwalk. There are plenty of food options to choose from but at the very least have a bite of pizza at Three Brothers, the Sawmill or Maruca’s where it’s not called pizza but “tomato pie.” You can eat your way from one end to the other and there’s several bars to stop in and have a cold one with your slice. Finish up with ice cream from Kohr’s.
- Take a ride to Long Beach Island and stop in for breakfast or the legendary wings at “Chicken or the Egg” in Beach Haven which is open 24/7 in the summer. Of course locals call it CHEGG and if you like wings you’ll call it awesome. While on LBI enjoy some time at Thundering Surf Waterpark and Adventure Golf.
- Speaking of miniature golf I love Smuggler’s Quay Adventure Golf which is part of the Breakwater Beach Waterpark at Casino Pier in Seaside Heights and try the new Beach Family Golf on the boulevard.
- Stroll the boardwalk in Asbury Park and play some pinball at the Silverball Museum Arcade. It will take you back in time.
- Enjoy a cocktail at any place that overlooks the water on a comfortable evening.
That’s a lot to do in a few weeks but give it your best!