New Jersey Reunion Week at Disney World
Random thoughts on this Thursday which will find public schools in New Jersey closed as the NJEA opens its annual two-day convention in Atlantic City.
- Most districts have been off this entire week as part of a fall break which you have likely noticed because of the reduced bus traffic on the roadways. The week off is clearly a boost to tourism in Florida and at Disney World/Universal as it’s like a New Jersey reunion for many
- Election Day has come and gone so let’s make sure winners and losers remove those annoying lawn signs sooner than later. Many of them are placed illegally on state and county roadways but the laws are not enforced so at the very least let’s collect and discard them ASAP.
- You might have seen on wobm.com or if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter that I finally got to taste the much-hyped Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich. It took me a couple of days as my first visit to the fast-food restaurant in Toms River came up empty because they were out of buns. Not to be denied I was back Wednesday and with many others got to enjoy what was a surprisingly good sandwich.I had the “original” and will have to return and give the “spicy” version a shot.
- I think we would admit the most movie sequels fall short of the original and that’s what I’m expecting next December when “Coming 2 America” is released. The film is being shot in Atlanta and Eddie Murphy is back as Prince Akeem but I simply can’t imagine it can come close to matching the hysterical 1988 original which is simply tremendous.Among those back for the sequel are Arsenio Hall, John Amos, James Earl Jones and Shari Headley who played Murphy’s love interest (Lisa) and new additions include Wesley Snipes, Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan.
- 15 Shore Conference schools that did not qualify for the NJSIAA Football Playoffs will be involved in consolation/regional crossover games with most of them playing tonight. So it’s Thursday Night Football and among the matchups Toms River South will host Marlboro, Jackson Liberty visits Pinelands, Barnegat is home against Middle Township and Manchester entertains Lakewood.