It’s That Time: 10 Beach Commandments 2020
Summer begins Saturday and it’s time for something that is as much a part of the season as eating ice cream, enjoying a cocktail on your deck or watching kids jump in a pool.
Each June I share the rules that should apply when it comes to beach behavior and etiquette and as you might expect I’ve updated it because of the times we are living in.
All other lists are simply “fake news” as I am the originator. Moses can take credit for his better-known version but only I have my name attached to the Ten Beach Commandments.
- DO NOT CROWD THY NEIGHBOR. This obviously takes on new meaning in the coronavirus times we live in. Never has space been more important (at least 6 feet) and respect those who got there before you.
- IF YOU DON’T FEEL GOOD…STAY HOME-Recovering from a hangover is one thing but if you feel a cold coming on or you have a headache, cough, sore throat or difficulty breathing stay the hell away.
- DO NOT LEAVE GARBAGE ON THE BEACH-This includes masks and gloves. If you want to wear them that’s fine but throw them away in garbage cans. This goes for diapers as well!
- DON’T SPIT WHEN YOU COME OUT OF THE WATER-Many people do this (I’ll admit I’ve done it) before returning to their chair or blanket. Spitting is a no-no…everywhere!
- NO SMOKING MEANS NO SMOKING-No exceptions!
- DO NOT FEED THE SEAGULLS. I know you love birds so while it’s nice you want to give them some bread it’s not really good for them and all of a sudden it will look like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.
- DO NOT SHAKE YOUR BLANKET OR TOWEL OUT NEAR OTHERS. It’s probably loaded with sand so go to an open area. Speaking of sand...don’t let your kids throw it.
- PLAY GAMES AWAY FROM PEOPLE-Spikeball, Kan Jam, Paddle Catch, Frisbee, Football, Wiffle Ball. Play them away from others!
- WEAR A BATHING SUIT THAT FITS YOUR BODY. I was going to leave this out but I have noticed an increased number of women wearing thong bathing suits. Some…well I’ll leave it at that.
- BE AWARE OF THE RULES FOR THE BEACH. What can and can’t you do? Where should you swim, where can you fish? Don’t walk on the dunes! Plus follow the lifeguard’s directions…they know the water a bit better than you.
Follow these simple rules and enjoy your time at the beach. More importantly, don’t ruin it for others.