A Great Day for A Parade
Very random thoughts on a day when the temperature could drop nearly 40 degrees from morning to night
- Thoroughly enjoyed the Ocean County Veterans Day Parade on Monday with one exception. The last vehicle in the parade was a large camper covered with signs to re-elect President Trump. It had no place in an event that was devoid of anything political and was to simply serve as a way for many to show their appreciation for those who have served. At the same time the pride that many veterans have for their time in uniform was evident as they marched down the street to cheering spectators.
- The single car accident Sunday morning on Hooper Avenue that claimed the lives of two young men from Toms River was a tragedy. It would have been a much greater one if anyone else was hurt or killed by the vehicle which was reportedly traveling in excess of 100 MPH.
- I don’t think that former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has a realistic chance to be elected President but his presence in the Democratic primary would make for some interesting moments.
- Belated congratulations to the Toms River North boys soccer team which captured the South Jersey Group 4 championship last Friday with an overtime win over Egg Harbor. If ever a title was an unexpected one this was it as the Mariners got into the tournament as the 16th and last seed by bumping two teams that were actually ahead of them in power points. North got the nod because they had a .500 record at the cutoff which meant automatic entry. Coach Joe Mahon’s squad then made the most of the opportunity by going on the road to beat the #1, #8, #4 and finally #2 seeds to win their first sectional title since 2009. Parker Nickelsen scored the golden goal in overtime Friday that sends TR North into the Group 4 semifinals against North Hunterdon on Thursday at Washington Township High School. Here’s hoping the magic ride continues for the Mariners.
- On the subject of sports if you know a diehard fan of the football Giants give them a hug, They need it. Losing is bad. Losing to the Jets is simply too much for some of them to accept.