Ocean County Prosecutors and Jackson Police made quick work of an investigation into the fatal stabbing of Isaiah Renouf early Friday morning by charging Jshawn Cutler with murder last night, Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer and Jackson Chief Matthew Kunz announced.

The 23-year old is also charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and burglary in the killing of fellow a Jackson Township resident who just turned 23 last week.

Police received a 911 call and later found Renouf on the floor of a home on Connor Boulevard Friday with a large wound to his chest.

Isaiah Renouf
Isaiah Renouf (Lauren Renouf via GoFundMe)

Lifesaving measures were attempted at the scene and Renouf was brought to Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, where he succumbed to his injuries.

A post-mortem examination by the Ocean County Medical Examiner determined the cause of death was a stab wound to the chest and the manner of death to be a homicide.

An investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crime Unit, Jackson Police and Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit revealed that Renouf and Cutler had an altercation at the home and it led to Cutler stabbing Renouf.

Cutler was arrested during a motor vehicle stop by police in Lakewood.

He is currently lodged in the Ocean County Jail pending a detention hearing.

“Outstanding teamwork was exhibited today by all the law enforcement officers and agencies involved in this investigation,” Prosecutor Billhimer said. “This horrendous crime was solved so swiftly thanks to the hard work and determination of these fine men and women in blue. Through their efforts, a very dangerous person has been removed from the streets of Ocean County. Now, our focus is to ensure that justice is done for Mr. Renouf."

Isaiah's mother, Leila Renouf, said on her Facebook page that her son died in her arms.

"His last words to me last night were 'Goodnight mom I love you Thank you I’m getting good at the job.' 4 hours later  he woke up to tapping on the window...he was stabbed in the heart. I raced to him and held him. I applied pressure to his wound...he died of cardiac arrest."

A GoFundMe page was also set up to help the family with funeral expenses.

Previous reporting by Dan Alexander was used in this report.


You can follow Vin Ebenau on Twitter and Instagram and email news tips to vin.ebenau@townsquaremedia.com.

More From 92.7 WOBM News:

Beach Radio logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From Beach Radio