TRENTON — All returns to normal at the Statehouse and state government offices on Wednesday, the first business day after a state budget was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, ending a government shutdown.

All state offices are open on Wednesday, including state courts, the Motor Vehicle Commission, and state beaches and parks.

Motor Vehicle Commission spokeswoman Marin Bellack said the agency is granting a two-day extension for driver licenses, permits, registrations and inspection stickers that expired June 30, 2017. These documents will now be valid until July 6, 2017.

"Customers are encouraged to take advantage of MVC online services and check the MVC website prior to visiting an Agency for low volume Agency wait times, and check what documentation will be needed before making a trip to an Agency," Bellack said.

"Residents may also renew their registrations online at 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Once a customer renews online, they are automatically updated in the system. They should keep their receipt with them until their new registration arrives in the mail," Bellack said.

Jersey City kept its Freedom and Fireworks Festival at Exchange Place, after moving the event from Liberty State Park during the shutdown. Mayor Steven Fulop tweeted that the crowd was "huge" in a joking comparison to President Donald Trump's inauguration. The Democrat was also pleased that his city's fireworks lasted longer than those in New York.

"Yes, it is childish, but nevertheless Jersey City won, which is what matters," Fulop tweeted.

Fulop also tweeted pictures of the fireworks display.

"I still love Liberty State Park but the Freedom Tower isn't bad for a backdrop," he tweeted.

Two artists who call themselves the Bikini Boys created a sand sculpture recreating the infamous picture of Gov. Chris Christie sitting on Island Beach State Park while it was closed to the public.

The sculpture featured Christie, complete with a baseball cap, sitting next to a shark on a chair that said "I (heart) NJ."  Lifeguards told NBC 4 New York the artists began their work at 9 a.m. and were done by 1 p.m.

The sculpture had been destroyed by late afternoon, according to the report, after it had been posted numerous times on social media.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at

More from WOBM:

More From Beach Radio